Your child is appearing for his/her boards. It’s indeed a proud moment that your child has excelled beautifully in his journey till std 10th.
But dear parents, now that they are starting with their exams, next 20 days is going to be crucial for them as well as you too.
Lot of mood swings, sadness, enthusiasm, relaxed behavior, rudeness etc. can be expected from the children.
And it’s okay, since lot of unnecessary stress has been built up by our education system, when it comes to Board Exams.
Let’s support our children. ..
How you can do that? Some simple tips which can be implemented from your end, to help your child cope up with the stress:
1. Please wake them up in the morning with a positive stroke, a touch/ hug which a child expects from his parents.
2. Start your child’s day with a positive statement – I love you, come let’s start this beautiful day together etc.
3. Take care about the communication you have with your child, before s/he leaves for his exams. I am sure you will excel, I am sure you will give your best, all luck to you, I will be waiting for you to come back sweetheart…etc.
4. Do not let your anxiety pass on to your child. Whatever the situation is, last moment positive support from your end will give a boost to your child’s confidence.
5. When the child comes back, please avoid asking only how the exam was, instead ask: How the experience was…, let’s unwind for the day, let’s go out for some time / let’s have a cup of coffee together etc. Avoid talking about the subject.
What’s gone is gone…you cannot alter that but at least you can support the child for the coming one.
6. Please ensure that a very happy and healthy atmosphere is given to the child in the house during his exams.
Avoid unnecessary arguments within the family; differences can be solved later; do not forget, arguments will affect your child and that will add to his/her stress.
7. Please play soft instrumental music while the child is having his/her breakfast or relaxing with you.
8. Avoid giving marks target to the child. S/He is sensible enough to understand his targets.
9. Keep fresh flowers in the house, that brings lots of positivity in the house.
10. Avoid nagging for any reasons.
11. With a positive stroke, make the child sleep. Your two minutes will give him sound sleep for some hours, that will help the child to combat with the situation.
12. Avoid advice please, give the child his/her own space.
13. Stand by your child even if the exam has not gone as per your or his/her expectations. It’s okay!
14. Most important: From today, don’t let the child meet the relatives or friends, last moment negative statements or expectations might prove detrimental for the child.
Lots of love to your child and Yes – you please be calm, be patient and all luck to you too, my dear parents.
Child Psychologist Riddhi Doshi Patel